Tuesday 4 July 2017

Dark Ages Warriors

I finished these last Friday, but only completed the bases yesterday and took advantage of the brief amount of daylight left after I got home from work to take these images.

Presented here are four units of Gripping Beast Dark Ages Warriors and one unit of archers.



I was a bit doubtful about these when I started on them because there weren't as many variants as there were in the Viking and Saxon sets. But now that they are based, I like them. They are a mix of spearmen, slingers, javelinmen plus a couple of swordmen and axemen.



They have been deliberately painted in a neutral manner so that they can be used as either Viking or Saxon "arrow fodder".



The archer sets was quite limited because, although the box contains 30 figures, there are only three on the sprue, so the selction of poses is very limited. However, by using some of the spare Viking and Saxon heads, and some of those from the Dark Age Warriors set, it is possible to gain a little more variety.


I still have two more units of archers to go to finish this project. There is no rush with these though since they aren't required now until October.



9 comments:

  1. Superb, impressive details as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good - suitably grim and determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think the the bareheaded figures have more character than the helmeted ones.

      Delete
  3. They look great as always Mark - your basing really shows the figures off to full advantage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but my theory is that a good basing job covers up a multitude of sins in the painting!

      Delete
  4. Yes agreed - that's my trick too!

    ReplyDelete