Wednesday 13 January 2016

The Mill, part 10

All the basic work on the mill is complete. There is just the second and third coat of the water texture ito be applied.

Here are a few shots of the model with all the paint work complete.




Applying the water has its own technique. First of all I painted the water area phtalo blue over a black undercoat. Before the blue is competely dry, and without washing the brush, I add a little bit of green and brush it randomly through the blue, just enough to give a hint of green. Then while the paint is still damp, I add a little terracotta to the brish and brush it sparingly around the edges of the pond. This gives the effect of a shallower edge to the pond. Finally I dry-brushed a few streaks of white on the ramp that will carry the water past the wheel. 


For the water I use an artist's texturing product called "Golden Heavy Gel (Gloss)". This stuff goes on white, but dries clear. It can be sculpted to a small degree and will hold peaks. It is really good for creating flowing water. Smoother water can be created by brushing it with a soft wet brush. To get depth two or three coats are required.




6 comments:

  1. Inspired, very inspired...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just exceptional Mark.
    The colours compliment each other very well and the bright green ivy pops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, I am really pleased with the result. I had a quick look at the water effect before I left for work and it is looking really good. Two more coats and it will be done. The flash has probably made the green a little brighter than it really is, but I agree it helps to break the monotony of wood and stone...and gives strength to that matchstick hand rail!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic Mark.
    A real thing of beauty.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu. The water effect is complete now, so I will try to post a final image tonight.

      Delete